Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Welcome from Anne Smith!


I'm so glad you found us here and hope you can visit our collection!
The Antique Toy Museum is a 38 year collection featuring over 40 antique dolls' houses, kitchens, shops, theaters and castles. A toy circus collection and thousands of miniatures and toys including puppets, Victorian dolls with accessories, games, puzzles, books, paper dolls, toy stoves and all variety of toys relating to childhood. 
The collection, dating from 1800 to 1950 with the majority of items from 1880 to 1910  was purchased in New York, New England and New Jersey. All the antique dolls' houses are handmade and are architecturally correct. Some fall in the categories of Folk Art and Outsider Art. All are furnished by me, an artist and designer, with authentic antique furniture, accessories, wallpapers, fabrics and dolls.
The Museum opened May 11, 2002 and has successfully attracted many visitors from all over the country and Europe. It is a great venue for families because all ages enjoy it and there is truly something for everyone.
The ANTIQUE SHOP is filled with unusual general line antiques including pharmaceuticals, toys, select smalls and decorative accessories.

The GALLERY specializes in early 20th century American paintings and sculpture featured in five innovative exhibitions a year.

In 1968 I started in the antiques business in New York's Hudson Valley selling from my own store. In the 1970's I owned and managed a successful auction business, selling many important estates including the Pound Ridge, NY estate of Lilly Dache, the famous 1940's hat designer.

I also managed several antique shows and in 1976 established an Antique Doll House and Toy Museum. For personal reasons it was closed and put into storage. I then did antique shows from Boston to Texas and in 1980 opened an antiques shop in Woodstock, NY. In 1984 I purchased a commercial building in Saugerties, NY in order to establish an antique shop and gallery. I had many successful art exhibitions specializing in 1920's thru 1940's paintings by Woodstock artists.

After selling the building in 1994 and setting up the shop and gallery contents into several antique centers I continued doing antique shows and several times a year set-up at the ShowPlace in New York City. In 1997 I rented a gallery at the ShowPlace and had many painting exhibitions featuring early 20th century American artists.

In 2000 my husband and I purchased a commercial building in Baltimore and brought in five truckloads of merchandise, paintings, various collections, and the contents for the antique toy museum. November 1st I opened the antiques shop and gallery. For the next year and a half I designed the over-all space for the museum and had special cases built for the larger doll houses. Antique cases were purchased and restored and I designed a 'toy shop' and 'apothecary shop'. Some of the interiors of the houses, kitchens and shops had to be restored and wallpapered and all were furnished with the antique treasures I collected for 38 years. The Antique Toy Museum opened May 11, 2002.

Look forward to seeing you!

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment